Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Some General Thoughts

This is the blog that Lives in Spanglish. Este es el... I don't really feel like explaining what that means right now. It'll probably take a day or two to hit my stride behind this. I got some stuff to say that is going to transfix all y' all, no doubt. But you're going to have to wait until after I pick up my laundry.

It's pretty odd for me to finally get into this two years after the blogging revolution was announced by Andrew Sullivan in wired. I'd heard of course about the success of Sullivan's self-promotional vehicle and blogging but never connected the two, probably because one of the ways I delude myself into thinking I'm maintaining a revolutionary attitude is by shutting my mind off to certain trends announced feverishly in the so-called alternative media. But enough about that later. I am by most accounts a somewhat well-known (somewhat well-known would be a few grades above obscure) author-journalist with one degree of separation from many big names in the New York media mafia. I've often wanted to upgrade my website but ran into roadblocks: well-meaning people who wanted to help me but went on to tasks that would pay and professionals who charged more than I wanted to spend. So by accident I've stumbled on to this particular process, and I'm hoping to find ways of Living in Spanglish that seem organic or feasible enough that the entire wired universe can palpably experience them.

This place, this space is where I'd like to set sail into the humid breezes of Brooklyn summer. I've already blown off my prerequisite missed press conference of the day (announcing the lineup for Central Park Summerstage), which was probably a mistake, but I got caught up in a string of e-mails to people complaining about the usual things: my agent, Iraq prisoner photos, my ex-girlfriend. Tomorrow I'm thinking about missing another press conference, but then again I might not, because I'm probably going to leave town on Thursday for reasons I'm not quite sure of. Sometimes Tuesdays can be so dead, and especially now that summer approaches and media urgency slacks off, we're feelin' it.

So those are my general pensamientos. For now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home